Wednesday, August 14, 2013

And So It Begins... (Bless This Mess - Prima Donna)

Here we are, my first review (It is okay, and in fact preferred if you'd applaud). I've decided to kick this off with the sophomore album (I believe it's their second studio effort) from Prima Donna, a wonderful glam rock group I learned of from my lovely girlfriend.

Visible androgyny is the first sign of any good glam rock band.


I've decided on this particular album because I adore the two recorded songs I've heard by them and even enjoyed seeing them live (Although, a solid amount of alcohol prevented me from recalling a lot of it), but I have yet to actually explore their music thoroughly. Also, because no man can rack up enough brownie points with his girl. =P

It was my girlfriend who actually brought me to the show where I fell for this group and actually introduced me to frontman, Kevin Preston, who she had met at an earlier show in her hometown of Chico. Here they are at that show:

Can you guess which is my girlfriend?

Kevin is a killer dude who actually dedicated a song off of Bless This Mess, "Feral Children" (Her favorite song of theirs), to us at the show; however, it wasn't until doing some basic research for this review that I discovered he actually played guitar for the Foxboro Hot Tubs.

He's the one in the AMAZING military-esque jacket.

Pretty cool, eh? I thought so. Anyway, accompanying the record, I will be drinking Leinenkugels' Original because I made a Wisconsin run on Sunday (For those of you not from Minnesota, they don't sell alcohol here on Sundays). Now, that I've rambled to the end of my first beer (I promise introductions will be shorter in the future), on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:


The opening is "Sociopath", and right away they are staying true to their straight up rock sound. As I was already aware, I adore Kevin's voice, and you gotta love the nice little solo coming out of the second chorus. Simple, but completely fitting. Any song that gets you singing aloud over and over, "I am a sociopath!"has got to be a classic.

Although, it feels as though it ends too soon, the pace carries on with the bouncy "Maxine." Here Prima Donna begins to flex their glam muscles, and although that may not be the best analogy to use, I find glam completely badass, so whatever. A sexy song about a loving a lady? I'm there.

Again, however, it seems to end to soon. No worries though, it flows right in to the slower paced and wonderful Feral Children. They keep the sexy glam going with the refrain, "I will corrupt you/Tell you lies so filthy, you won't mind/You won't care." And I will continue to gush about the sexy guitar tone. It's like somebody took the feel of the 70s to 80s glammers and gave them the production value they so desperately deserve. And that harmonizing solo? Beautiful.

The best ending of a song gave way to what I though was going to be the weakest opening, but give "Broken" a few seconds and it reveals itself as a lovely little 60s-esque anti-love song. Note to Kevin if he reads: You're voice shines wonderfully with this feel. Heading into the bridge, the pace is picking up, and I'm starting to bob. Considering I'm alone in my living room with headphones, I feel kind of silly, but fuck it. It's good. I can hear an organ in the back that is so lovely to hear in rock music. Seriously, there just aren't enough keys in rock anymore.

Another solid ending breaks into the aggressive intro of "Let the Games Begin." This definitely has a fun new wave feel, and along with that, I'm continuing to bob perhaps even bounce. And OH! One-note solo for the win! I feel like the album really solidified it's pacing here, and an aggressive ending to compliment the open.

Onward, we go to the bluesy feeling "Bless This Mess" which I am feeling is the "Cat's meow" (Yay, for silly lyrics!). Choral stuffs in the background are fun, and blues solo comes on strong. Not only is there a blues solo, but in fact a whole solo section including two guitars and a FUCKING HAMMOND ORGAN! They have found the way to this reviewers heart. And to be frank and honest, while I would not rate this as a top blues song, hearing a blues sound done well from a modern glam rock band is wonderful and refreshing. This was everything I was hoping for in an eponymous track.

The blues feel continues while getting more punchy with "Miss Avenue". Opening with some sexy sax that is also so damn refreshing to hear in modern rock. While only used as an accent, it still adds SO much, and makes me feel dirty (In a good way, not in the I-haven't-showered-in-a-month way).

This gives way to a "Starring Daggers" that, while featuring some really cool vocal melodies and guitar work, is lost behind the awesomeness that was the previous two tracks.

Also, ending way to soon, it becomes apparent for it's placement, because as soon as the guitar intro comes in on "Crimson Lust" you remember you are listing to a bad ass glam rock band, and indeed, the whole attitude of the song overflowing with sexy glam rock. The guitar solo brings back an accompanying sax, and the breakdown is sexy as all hell. Building, building, BUILDING... Splooge! Probably my favorite track thus far.

Ooo, and the metaphorical orgasm gives way to the slower paced "Tryin'". And I LOVE the choice. Especially with these opening lines: "Oh, no, look what I've done/I think I had too much fun." It's just so damn fitting. They also hit me again with the organ, and it gets its own solo this time which fits in with the tone of the song wonderfully. However, I must say I am less than stoked with the fade out ending.

However, the redemption comes in the fun and fast paced "Puta, Te Amo". And who could hate a song with a title like that. Not to mention the song is about a girl who is "Such a tramp," yet he sings lovingly to her in this revisitation to the new wave sound.

Closing out and staying with the new wave sound is "She Says". The organ is pumping along with the guitars and I get another organ solo giving way to a wah-tastic guitar solo giving way to a sexy breakdown. Until this moment and the release after the breakdown, I was very concerned about this as the closing track, but the ending is kicking my ass repeatedly in ALL the right ways. Ending on the way... Coming... Coming... Organ rings, Guitar chords play, and I final organ swipe to close out a killer album.

Oh, wait, there was a incomprehensible shout at the end after a pause. Sounded like "Oh, money!' maybe?

Final Thoughts

Prima Donna definitely lives up to their glam rock reputation and not just with appearance. Sure, if you are looking for soaring solos and falsetto, you're better off putting in The Darkness, but for those of use who remember (Or in this 23 year-old's case, have explored) the simpler side and beginnings of glam such as Iggy Pop and Bowie, Bless This Mess provides a modernized version of that both in production value and versatility. Kudos for incorporating genres outside of glam, and the inclusion of oft underutilized rock instruments, but only because they were used correctly and with great taste. Front to back, Bless This Mess is a great disc that you should own. Me too. I gotta get this one.

So concludes my first review. I made it out with a slight buzz, and less cigarettes than when I started.

Writing aides.

Hoping you enjoyed as much as I did,
-Badhorse

2 comments:

  1. Glam rock?

    Like Motley Crue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... Think more along the lines of Lou Reed/Iggy Pop.

      -Badhorse

      Delete