Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Two Hearts and a look back - Dott - Swoon

Hello, friends, readers, people who find themselves here completely by mistake (I'm sorry), it is time again for me to make a mockery of both myself and as we progress, the english language as I provide you with my terrible-yet-always-accurate opinions on music I've never heard.

It has become apparent to me that we have reached an end of relevant albums being released for the year (at least so far as my lackadaisical internet research is concerned). Thus, I will be turning my attention to albums I have missed this year due to various reasons.

Starting out this few week run is a band by the name of Dott. I found them randomly, and aside from the name and solid recommendation from a random website I've never heard of and couldn't find again if I tried, I know absolutely nothing about this group.

However, if animal masks are any indication of music, I may like this one.

I made sure to fight through the snow to get myself some Bell's Two Hearted Ale for this because it sounded like a good beer to have. And since thats all I have to say about that, on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

"Small Pony" brings us in with drums and feedback before kicking in nicely to a lo-fi feel that is nice. There is a lead instrument I can't quite make out. I think it's just guitar distorted awesomely. The farty bass is love ly. That drop out bofore the final chorus was nice. The kick in was subtle, but the drum fill was cool as hell. The oo's to finish are a nice touch.

And keeping with that heavy-yet-low-key feel is "Day That I Found You". It has a cool punk ballad feel. That farty bass continuing to drive the album. The songs are simple, but well done. And the trasition to the bridge was awesome. I really love the vocals as well.

"Rain Day" opens with naked voice before the drums come in with more beautiful bass, this time they dropped the fuzz, but the tone is still incredible. I really like the bouncy feel, and really cool explosion there. It's hard to read any formulaic structure here, and that's a good thing. Build. No big reveal, but well done nevertheless. I dig it. A lot.

Voice and claps open "Tefl". The track settles into an almost 60's ballad feel. Pleasant. Well done with the harmonies. This is a style that's easy to do, but not so much if you want to stand out while doing it, and this song is standing out to me. Even the cliche "Do-Wap's" aren't enough to bury this song into "overdone." it's a pleasant song. And executed well.

"Leave Tonight" opens with guitar and voice. I love the vocals here. Drop out. Excellent kick in. Subtle, keeping the pace down, but effective. Second drop out comes back bigger into the chorus. And nicely catchy with the oo-OO-oo's. Driving low again. a little more tension here. Beautiful cymbal build. Drop out. Chorus again, and I'm in love with the basslines. This may be my favorite moment on the disc so far. 

Coming in to slow the pace is "Talk toYou". Ballady fel here, but there is a nice slow build being felt with the drums. Growing into a really cool lo-fi epic feel. Parts of this give me a what-if-the-Deftones-went-lo-fi-indy feel. I dig. Very much.

"Love You Too" opens with big-ish guitars before settling into a nice bouncy tune.  I really dig these vocals. They are... I don't know... Subtly powerful? They fit the music in that way. This band could have gone straight pop-punk with better production, but they recognized that the feel of restrained power can speak volumes more. It also allows more depth without just turning into a wall of sound. Fun tune.

Driving bass carries on the uptempo feel set up by the last track on "Start All Over". This song is fun and bouncy, and I dig the chorus. Seriously compositionally, I'm loving the structures. It's, like, all over the place, but not enough to lose you. This drummer is fun to listen to as well. Lowkey chorus. Into big chorus. Excellent.

"Love You Forever" comes in with drums and cool vocals. I really dig her voice and the ways she uses it. This song is badass. Much more badass than I was expecting for a song with this title. Excellent building bridge. Cool explosion. New favorite track. Cool drop out ending.

"Last Summer" comes in as another sort of ballad. Thus far, the pacing has been a really cool blend of ups and downs. Nothing  abrupt or off putting, but flowing in and out. It's really well done. This song builds and gains pace through out and sets up to perhaps even not slowdown at all. It's so cool to have nice pacing while still not being able to predict the disc. My only complaint that I could even find at this point is a lack of complete climax. This, however, could be a product of the lo-fi feeling production.

"Cherry Blossom" comes in with guitar, and vocals soon come in and the song starts driving. Building into a second refrain of "Cherry Blossoms" Building still. This time with harmonies. I love this. Bass is amazing here as well. Vocal build here. God, that drum fill was killer! Okay... Album climax. We are talking spooge in the face with this track. I dig it. I dig it. Oh, and that bass to end it. On to the epilogue?

"Another Summer" opens as another pretty ballad. Cool bass lines abound, build into... Fake out. Build again...  Subtle pop... Cool as it moves. Building again. Drops down. Really cool power moving into the end captuing every bit of lo-fi awesomeness here. Drop out ending, and I'm sold.

Final Thoughts:
If you want a really cool listen with ups and downs and beautiful lo-fi presence, this is your disc. If you don't, you're probably reading the wrong blog. I really dig this disc. It's all there, the only concern one may have is the vocals. Personally, I love them, but they are a bit static throughout, so if you don't like them with the first track you hear, this is probably not your band, but if you fall in love as I did, get this one. It's good.

As always, leave your praise and worships below (also your hate and condemnations).

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment