Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Keeping It In Cougar-Town! Joan Jett - Unvarnished

Last week, I covered one of my everlasting crushes on female artists who refuse to let age make them stop being sexy. This week, we are staying in Cougar-Town (One in my fantasies, not the shitty TV show or some settlement of large cats).

 Pictured: A settlement of large cats

I love Joan Jett. Though, admittedly, this is about 40% due to her sexiness, 50% due to her singles, and 10% due to her sexuality. Album-wise, I haven't really listened to her (This is becoming a startling trend, I know, and the reason for this blog). Thus, today, I will be reviewing her latest album, Unvarnished.

Hot.

I'm doing so with my leftover Ancient Age and lemonade because I didn't have time to make it to the liquor store, and contrary to what this blog may have you believe, I'm not an alcoholic and leave left over alcohol. And with my Tuesday night drink in hand, on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

Guitars kick in hard on "Any Weather", and settle into a punky feel. Joan Jett sets out with her simple rhyme schemes, and very 80s punk voicing. I dig the pushing punk power and "hey's". The keys add a nice depth. Catchy albeit simple opening track, and some nice Whoah-Oh-Oh's in the bridge. Drop out chorus into final refrain. Cookie cutter punk song, but I can dig it.

"TMI" comes in with a bouncy guitar line and a clap beat. And has some badass attitude (badittude if you will?). The chorus and premise is kind of corny, but it's making me smile. It's nice because--oh I like the background guitar solo-y thing. Simple, but just... Badass. Breakdown chorus into final refrain... Again, but it's early, let's see in this badittude continues. I like the ending.

Keeping an up beat punk sound going is "Soulmates to Strangers". Again, corny vocally, but if you are looking to Joan Jett for extreme depth and poetry, you are looking in the wrong places. Still like the feel, but this song is more dragging than the first two, but I like the bridge part. A little breakdown, and guitar lick, brings us into the last verse. And into the last chorus. Low point thus far. End good though? Slow down ending. Decent.

"Make It Back" opens with another punk riff, and I'm having fun with this progression. This song is considerably more fun than the former. And there are some keys accompanying the guitar that I am enjoying. This album has some punk gold on it. I'm just hoping it--Oo, I like the harmonies in the bridge and the solo is TOTALLY Joan Jett! Nice ending.

And into a nice opening on "Hard To Grow Up". This has a sort of upbeat ballad feel. Vocals are really coming through as good, yet underproduced, and I love it. The chorus is a little grating, but I like the song over all. The stops that bring us into the verses are a nice touch as well. I love Joan's voice. The chorus is more palattabe the second time around, and some cool guitar work going into the bridge. I love the layers being distinct on the guitar production. Such a call back to her older stuff. Breakdown. Pause. Into... Drum fill! And into final chorus! Ish fall apart ending. Love it!

"Fragile" burst out of that ending with a drum fill into another punk rock riff that drives nicely, and God, if there ever was a female voice made for punk, Joan's is it. Breakdown chorus is a cool touch. I'm digging this song, and most of it has to do with that opening/verse riff. Must learn it. The chorus is still so--Love the bridge, although, spelling out fragile? Wait. Strings? Sweet. This interlude is AWESOME! And solo? Sweet. Into chorus with strings? I love you, Joan. So much. Vocal swells. Killer.

Pacing stays high with the opening of"Reality Mentality" That has an awesome punk feel, and while this album has been almost all punk, I the energy is so high, I can't even argue. The stops are killer, and the chorus, while corny again, is excellent. Wah solo! Wha-whawha-WHAAA! Breakdown verse.... Finals chorus. Fake out ending into refrain thing. Just wonderful.

And keeping fast paced, "Bad As We Can Be" kicks in nicely. Driving song, and I like the little guitar licks. Ahhh, such a cool throwback feel to this song. And there is a subtle layered guitar holding chords in the verses that has such a cool tone. The bridge... So... Messy. But, like, messy AWESOME! Solo. Fun solo. Simple, but fun. This reminds me of my first entry on Prima Donna, but this is someone who lived her prime around the time the music they are honing came out.

Cowbell beat opens "Different". This is showing a slow aggression that I can dig. Oh, the dirty guitar. Joan, do it! Campy chorus again, but oh, such a wet guitar solo into a key change. And rhythm gets more driving before dropping out to a sexy final verse. Builds into the last chorus. Key changing solo again. I LOVE that tone! Ending on a heartbeat bass drum.

Into a ballad opening to "Everybody Needs A Hero". Vocal showing by Joan shaky, but real. Love the guitar progression in this. Building. Strings. So nice. Joan, this is not what you're cut out for, but I can dig it. Nice ending... Pause.. Strings floursih in, and dend.

Final Thoughts:
Welp. I did the standard version of this album because the deluxe versiuon had different versions of the same song, but I think it ended just as the booze took hold. This leads me to believe that you should buy the deluxe verions. because this albums is good, but short. This should be expected from what is essentially a killer punk disc, but still. I want more Joan! In all seriousness, if you are a fan of Joan or old punk/glam punk, get this record, it may feel a tad one dimensional otherwise. I dig it, but my tastese are what they are ( Flawless( 

Drunk now. =)

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment