Wednesday, November 13, 2013

With all the class of a 47 pound cock - Less Than Jake - See The Light

Tonight, my friends, is an exceptionally special night for this drunken blogger. It is NEW LTJ DAY!

Yes, it is time to rejoice in a band that I am convinced writes songs exclusively about my life (Of course they are loosely interpreted and changed slightly to protect the innocent). In honor of this day, I have decided to go all out and get myself a a liter and a half of some cheap, shitty moscato. Because I'm a classy bitch like that. =)

Oh yeah. The CLASSIEST bitch.

I was late to the LTJ train only hopping on in college when my shitty punk band opened(ish) for them at The Rave in Milwaukee; however, after seeing them, I was hooked, and they have gotten me through every major life event related to alcohol. It would seem only appropriate that they be a part of my current (and let's face it only real) life ambition: Typing out long winded descriptions of albums whilst drinking. Isn't alcohol great?

That is the doorway to amazing.

I am drinking a cheap wine from my past by Rex Goliath. RG was, apparently, a 47 pound rooster, so I affectionately call this wine my Big Cock Wine. So, with my Big Cock in hand, on to the Review!

Album:

Alcohol:

Horns open "Good Enough" and it's wonderful. The song carries the up beat feel of LTJ and launches into a nice hooky chorus. Lyrics shine as always. And the production falls in line nicely. I like the horn break. As always, LTJ treads the line beautifully between pop-punk and ska amazingly.

Moving into the bouncy yet less punchy "My Money is on the Long Shot". This is the only tune I've heard already on this disc, and it's already in my head. Seriously, these guys should do a clinic on writing hooks. They manage to not only get song stuck in your head, but make you feel attatched to the song as you recite it. So brilliant lyrically. Andother really cool hornbreak into an aggressive bridge that takes us to the ending.

"Jump" comes in aggressive and stays up beat. Thus far this disc is calling me back musically to Borders or Hello Rockview, but lyrically, you can feel a nice maturing. Not in a Green-Day-is-all-of-the-sudden-political way, but more of a we-are-still-a-bunch-ofbarely-mature-fucktards-but-have-aged sort of way. I like it.

"The Loudest Songs" comes in fast keeping the energy high. There is a nice use of horns through out thi disc. The friend that introduced me to LTJ used to say how he loved what they did with horns because it was "Just enough." They didn't Over power you with blaring trumpets or two minute horn breaks, but they were ever present through out. I have to say. that assessment shines here.

The first pace break comes on "Do The Math". So groovy, and Roger gives me the hardest erections with his flowing bass line. Or maybe that's the wine? It may be that I was already a fan boy, but I'm digging this disc, and the flow is nice. Punchy opening. Keep the energy up, and as we head into the early middle, break it sown a bit.Just in time for the wine to hit. =)

"Bless the Cracks" comes in subtley with just guitars before growing into the verse, and bringing the energy back up beautifully. Settling back into the second chorus. Building again. May I take a minute to discuss how beautiful Roger and Chris' voices compliment each other? No. I would miss too much of the song. But it is amazing. This song is nice, but maybe the first song I've found in a low point. Especially as they use a fade out ending. Ew.

Ground out of that blasphemy is "John the Baptist Bones". A wonderful vaguely religious-but-not-really tune that has a really cool chorus progression. I will forever be jealous of the depth LTJ can create with their chord progressions. I'd e spiteful if I didn't love them so much. cool abrupt ending.

"American Idle" comes in up beat but mellow. And the verses have cool pace changes. And into the chorus I am reminded that no one does vocal trade offs as weel as LTJ. Horn break is nice. Lyrically, this song is hitting me Another song about my life. God, I lvoe thi band. Oh yeah... I'm cesing to care about my typing again. Deal with it.

"The Troubles" pushes th pace on ward. No one makes depressing as fun as these guys. Kudos. Really though... Pot heads have Tool, pill poppers have electronica, and drinkers like me have LTJ. I lucked out.

Slowing down a little bit into "Give Me Something to Belive in". A nice bouncy tune. And hello tto you wine. Feeling it now... IT is caousing me to compulsively sway with the music. Cig time. This song is nice. Not great, ut I dig it.

"Sunstroke" comes in subtlely with guitar out of the previous track and settles into a fast paced yet mellow tune. It's always nice when a band refuses to let their drumer rest even during tender, heartfelf tunes. Fck drummers. =P Shit. Wine's gone. Good thing I have half a bottle of rum@1 Nice slow ending.

"A Short History Lesson" oppens with a bell and sample into fased paced ska feel, and good to feel going into uplifting after a downer middle. Good downer, but yeah, great change of pace. My face is blushing... Im drunk.

Cool oppening to the final track, "Weekends All Year Long". Cool feel to the track. Deep., but pusyingh thte pasce. Oh shit. drunk.. "Keep tripping over my own feet" exept I'm triping over fingers. Damn keyboards for being so tiny. Lyrics about my life again. Solid ending.

Final Thoushgts:
Yes. I liked this disc. If you like LTJ, youlll like it too. IF you don't,. Fuck you. Buy it I gonna. Too dunk to say more.

Comment follow and studdff. =)

=Badhorse


No comments:

Post a Comment