Thursday, March 6, 2014

Keeping Promises and Loosing Whiskey - RBR: Ra - Critical Mass

Two weeks in a row I'm throwing down a blog? Hells-to-the-yeah! However, all I have to drink is what's left of my Jim Beam Black. Don't worry, though, it's enough.

Today, I will be checking out a band I haven't heard since I saw them in my youth. A decent radio rock-ish band, Ra. Apparently, they released new music since I was in junior high... Who knew? Well, a good friend of mine, Chris Schara, for one.

This is actually a picture of Schara taken by another Schara. Schara Schuared?

Now, there are a few Ra tunes I recall and enjoy, but I'm not the biggest fan of that general radio rock sound. That being said, I do fully trust Schara's musical tastes. After all, he is the one who suggested I review Thrice's Major/Minor. Also, he is part of a music making machine that I enjoy, Vaudeville (I also look forward to reviewing the album they are currently working on).

So here I am, doing the proper critic thing and keeping an open (albeit inebriated) mind heading into Critical Mass.

This is a pretty badass cover.

And with drink in hand (Figuratively, of course. I don't want to spill on my laptop), on to the review!

Album:
Ra - Critical Mass

Alcohol:
Jim Beam Black

Critical Mass opens with "Brutiful". I'm not sure if that's an actual word, but the actual song has an interesting intro... Dropping out... Gritty guitar... And there is a kick in after the voice, but not what I expected. There is a definite heavy, yet low-key drive. And opening up... Cool voice effect. And into an almost power metal feel... And back into that driving grit. Sooo much bass tone. Had to turn down my sub. Following a formulaic refrain, but good tune. Really cool guitar work going into the bridge. Drops out... Nice growth... And kick into chorus. I do like this chorus. Rather static, but good. And into a driving outro, I think outro? Neat solo thing, I guess. It's cool, but again a little too heavy on that double kick drum and guitar chugging. Ew... Fade out.

Cadence and kick in open "Awake". Into a punchy transition to a slow-ish verse. And opening up into a generic chorus. Not bad, but not significant either... This track is painfully cookie cutter radio rock at this point. Even this bridge feels overly recycled. Into drop out. Slow build. Stop. Yep, called it. And another chorus. Should be in the final thirty seconds now? Called it again. Just enough time for two more choruses, and a finish. There it is.

"Supermegadubstep" has me intrigued on title alone. After a really cool intro, it settles into a fast paced rock tune. And I'm okay with this. Whoa. Little bouncy part. And opening up again. That was pretty cool. And cool second verse. Nice little dynamic change while keeping up the pace. And into that cool bouncy part. Better build this time. Nice. This track may just redeem the previous. Whoa. That bridge part. Really cool guitar work. Like... They are mimicking dub step but with out all of the stupid. Beautiful. Transition back into the chorus is a little harsh, but I will hardly complain, because that last part was killer.

"It's All Over Now" opens with strings and drums, guitar builds in and opens up. Simple but good riff. Dropping into a more subtle verse. Neat little pre-chorus. The chorus is cool, but just a little weird. Like, I don't know if its a mixing thing, or timing maybe? It just felt off; which is unfortunate because everything else in this song is pretty cool. Yeah, it's not getting better the second time around, so I'm not thinking it's the booze. Something is just... Off...  Cool string break down here. Getting a little long... Oh, that's the end.

"Anything U Want" ignores proper grammar, and not in the same excusable drunken way I do. And the song it self has awkward feeling rap parts, and reads like it just doesn't know what it want's to do. And quite frankly, I don't know what to make of it. Not good, but... No, just not good. As it goes on, I dislike it more. Bad song. Straight up. Nothing redeeming this. Fade out ending? Fitting.

A weird sample opens "Won't Be Home Tonight". Nice guitars... Aaaaand, there's the radio rock... Oh, neat little transition riff. Nice low-key verse.... Build... And just a driving chorus. Kinda meh... This song keeps tricking me into thinking it's going to get cool. It's always just on the brink with a build or a stop, and it just... Doesn't.

"Running Blind" opens with voice, guitar, and strings. And jumps into a bouncy thing that I'm pretty sure is a rip off of the open to "Do You Call My Name". Good to see they keep using it in the verse. Another painfully cookie cutter radio rock tune here. Nothing is jumping out at me. Maybe I'm not drunk enough? Yeah, that's probably the problem... *Drinks*

Didn't help. "A Hollow Glow" opens with a low-key guitar, and brings in a nice little lead melody. This was cool, but they are slowly making it boring... Fade out? Really? That wasn't even a song, and you are fading it out? Lame.

Weird intro to "Ecstacy " And this is a pretty cool and groovy tune. Nice little kick into a punchy chorus. Not great, but a definite welcome change to the lame that has become the standard of this disc thus far. Again, taking something cool, and really just repeating until I don't care anymore... Nice growth into the bridge though. I could do without the voice though... It's just... Odd... Drop out... Waiting for the. Yep, naked voice into kick in... Not bad, but not good. That ought to be the tagline for this one.

Guitar opens "Tragic Empire" and it is a cool riff. Drop into a cool feeling verse-ish thing. Digging this on actually. Nice open into a dynamic drop. And jumping into a fast chorus. Pretty cool thus far. Dropping down again. Not bad, but nothing on this disc is pulling apart from anything else. Supermega dub step is the only really cool track thus far...

Neat tribal-ish beat opens"The voice inside my head" and cool guitar sond. Drop out... And subtle comeback legit. And it looses me with the chorus... Feels forced? OR just over done? Not good... That's how it feels. Giving up on this one... We will see if the fortunes change on the next (Betting they wont!0

"Through The Valley" opens with driving guitars. Cool opening that settles into a really cool driving verse. Nice pre chorus. And slowing into the chorus... Nice actually And back into that driving verse. pre chorus again... Yeah... Rehashing again... And it gets less cool. I think I'm actually almost nodding off.. Dropping into a bridge... Build... And settle... predicting a drop and kick in at the end of this... Yeah, definitely drop ... No build into a solo. Ahh... Solo builds into pre chorus sans vocals. Which would be cool if the pay off wasn't this lame ass chorus again... Blech.

"Crawling Into The Sky" is the last chance to wow me more than track two, and it opens with guitar before kicking in with drums. and  some ="whoa ohs". slow driving verse. Cool things happening, but not impressing overall. This song could be cool, but I'm too jaded and drunk from everything that preceded. Meh.

Final Thoughts:
The album has its points, but overall I was more impressed by the way my new OS (Upgraded muthafuckas!) was able to make sense of my typing. In closing... Meh. Just... Meh.

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment