Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A B-Day RBR - In This Moment - Blood

We all have friends (I hope, or else I just made someone really depressed). Some of them are borderline acquaintances, some are long time buddies you met on a sloppy drunken night and never fell out of contact. Then, there are those friends that have been with you longer than you have memories. Those friends that you have pictures of you as infants, and in those pictures, your eyes manage to be giving that same look to one another that you did as teenagers right before you decided to drunkenly throw that couch into the bonfire; that telepathic smirk of shared mischief.

Friendship is smacking each others asses in public.

Well, my friend, Nick, is that final friend. We've been jamming together since we were in diapers, and even though we now live hours apart from each other, we still share a tight bond and friendship. It's as if we are truly blood. And although that may be a cheesy attempt to tie in the album title, it doesn't make it any less true.

By the cover, I can obviously tell this albums about friendship... Aaaaaand naked porcelain women?

So when my good friend told me I should do Blood by In This Moment for my blog, naturally I... Put it off until I realized it was the week of his birthday. And so, as a birthday gift of sorts, I'm presenting this RBR. Not only that, but Nick suggested I drink Sweet Revenge. It is a "Wild Strawberry 'Sour Mash'" and apparently, delicious (I'm on drink number 3), so to find out if the album matches up to the drink, on to the review!

Album:
In This Moment - Blood

Alcohol:
Sweet Revenge

Synth chimes open us up on "Rise With Me". Some tribal drums come in to add a subtle build. More sythns grow in. Female vocals are heard distantly. There is a pretty cool aesthetic set up here. I'm waiting for a kick in, but I think this is just an intro, and I'm cool with that.

"Guitar and synth lead us into the title track. There is a distinct groove in the shout vocals. And as everything kicks in, there is a neat stop and go thing. I like it, but it is staying a little past its welcome. settling back into the vocal groove with guitars adding aggression nicely. Drop out thing... And back into that once cool chorus thing. Yeah, I'm lost on these choruses. It's cool if they were to do it, like, half as long. Going into a really cool flowing solo over a stuttery rhythm riff. And theres that stupid chorus again... This song is like half good. Let's hope they didn't intend the title track to be the stand out.

Synth sweeps into a barrage of punches that is the opening to "Adrenalize". Driving riffs opens up into a really cool verse. Opens up is the wrong term. The driving riff continues, but the the vocals add a lovely flowing layer. The chorus is likewise a duality of aggressive guitars and less aggressive vocals. Not done as well as the verses, but cool in it's own right. Second verse continues much liekt he first, but I still like it. And the second chorus is much the same, but maybe sounding a little more aggressive. And the riff comes back into a build. Cool slide. And screaming bridge thats not too bad. Call and answer bridge now, not bad. And the final chorus is cool. It opens up into a bounce almost. Nice.

Picking up off the bounce is "Whore". The music is reminiscent of that 8 Mile Eminem song, but the vocals are cool flowing over it. And as it moves into the chorus, oh not the chorus, but cool part. The ACTUAL chorus is cool. VERY accible... In good and bad ways. Going back through the refrain. This is a very poppy metal tune. It's catchy and listenable, but not necessarily standout-ish. Drop out to synth and voice... Guitar building... And another chorus? Yep. As I said, not bad, just predictable and blah.

"Your Gonna' Listen" has a really cool driving guitar intro with the vocals coming in soft-ish and slow... And kicks in nicely. A very Otep-eque feel here. I REALLY like that guitar line in the chorus? I'm gonna call it a chorus. I can dig this tune. It takes a lot of the things I liked in the previous tracks and does them better. Bridge that is essentially an alternate chorus is nice, and cool little solo. Drops out into a rotary sounding guitar/synth thing. Swelling... Chorus. Not a bad pay off. It definitely feels a little more intense here. I can dig.

"It is Written" provides a nice sample transition.

But the anticipation is killed a little moving into a piano open to "Burn". Not to take away from the piano set up into that kick in. That was cool. And dropping back down to piano for tha verse. And crazy dynamic rise into the chorus. And the chorus actually shows off the blend of screams and singing that this vocalist has. The second time through, I'm a little less impressed as nothing really changes, but the song is still good. Really cool rhythmic things happening in the bridge part, and going into a breakdown of sorts. Kinda cool albeit simple. Dropping back to piano. Im calling .. Never mind straight to the kick in. I'm okay with that. They definitely build up to their final choruses giving them a little more umph. Respect.

"Scarlet" opens out of feedback with synths. Guitar builds us in slowly. Voices comes in soft and purdy. Nice movement in the vocal melody. Faux kick in. I can dig. Promising thus far.  Nice movement into edgier vocals. And kick in really opens up and there is a beautiful sing screaming going on. Dynamics are really nice on this. And cool solo. I dig this. Less punch my mouth and more aggressive flow. They are definitely getting better as the album goes on. (Maybe it's the booze?)

"Aries" provides another cool sample interlude.

"From The Ashes" has a nice flourish intro before bringing us back to a punchy metal feel. and I can dig that transition, and I actually REALLY like the vocals here... Ooo. Picking up pacing. and drop off... Kick in, but in that flourish fashion again. I can dig that. Maybe my favorite track to this point. And back to the musically punchy yet vocally flowing verse. And getting fast again. I really like this chorus though. The vocals and--whoa! That transition into punchy bridge was cool. Kinda leaves me hanging into a vocal/guitar guid, but the payoff is coo and better than I expected. Back to punhy to copse.

"Beast Within" opens subtly, and grows in the same matter. screams lead us to another faux kick in, but after a moment the chorus comes in all the same. And it's okay... Yeah... Just... Okay... I much perfer the lower key groove of the verses. Meh, on the chorus... But ohh, th move into the bridge and the bridge itself is cool. Drop out... aaaand build back into this blah chorus... Meh. Drops out into the finish.

"Comanche" opens withDrums and muted bass. I am definitely drawing in, and continuing with guitar and grown vocals... And into a blindingly fast chorus? Verse? I don't know but it was cool. Second verse pushing a little more aggressive. And opening up... These that fast part again. Well done. here. Oh, I like that movement of the guitar in the bridge. Killer. The Ooo's add more depth to the third verse and it builds again... into... Yeah... That sexy chorus... So angry, but so good. Cool tune.

Guitar/sythn bring us into "The Blood Legion" haunting vocals set up anticipation. Drop out thing... And keys bring us back in softly. The haunting vocals resume. Very pretty vocal movement... And into rises into a cool little groove. I can dig. Drop to vocal and guitar... Waiting sythn sweep... and kicking of the subtle variety. Nice. into a chorus again given a little more umph. Nice. Really like the chorus oos dropping into... a sample?

"11:11" starts the closing of this disc with more choral oohs. Really pretty here. Almost soulful vocals growing now. I'm good with this. More depth and more soul. nice. A lot of cool things, but I'm rely getting anticipatory of a kick in... Like, At this point, Im blown away wight he soul so if it doesn't happen, I'm okay, but I'd like one last punch to the face... God. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful when she want's it to be. That's it. And I have some chills.

Final Thoughts:
Okay, this album wasn't my usual cup of tea, then again sweet revenge isn't my usually cup of alcohol and it still got me drunk. There were moments I really enjoyed on this album. Enough to buy it? A resounding no; however, it was enough to desire listening to again. Sometimes you'll have that. Leave it to a good friend to find a band outside of your genres of interest that still sparks enjoyment. Thanks, Nick. Happy Birthday.

-Badhorse

Like what you've read? Then "Like" the blog for "real" on Facebook! Want to tell me how shitty my review was (it wasn't)? Pollute my Twitter! In a band with an album on the horizon, or know of an album you think I'd like/hate? Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment