Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A First Listen Before First Ave! Vaudeville - The Masquerade: Part 1

Take a long, hard look at these lovable, talented FUCKS! (Credit)

These guys are some of my best friends. They were my doorway into the Minneapolis music scene when I first moved here, and that goofy looking guy in the suspenders? That is my best friend. I mentioned before how awesome local music can be; these guys are the reason for me. 

Their first album, which was out before I met them, has it's ups and downs, and while very average in production, 2009's Dismantle The Sky had more than enough solid tracks to get me hooked. Then came Vendetta (2012). I was present for some of the writing of this disc and was super stoked for it's release. The release show is, to this day, the best local show I've ever witnessed. Now, we are on the verge of another release from this Minneapolis quintet, and with it, what promises to be a most epic show. The release show is to be held at the historic First Avenue. I've not known of a local show there since my moving here, and the venue itself is amazing. I've heard only one track off of this new album, and I'm so goddamn anxious to hear the rest.

With all the lace on that mask, this disc HAS to be badass!

Now, before you assume that I'm some blind fan boy that will rave just to rave, it should be noted that as with all my reviews, honesty will prevail. I will set forth Vendetta's "Treason" as a track that I have found, and will always fine, blah. Good music is good music, and while there is a precedent with these guys to impress, I will ultimately be judging the album and not the band itself.

Since they are sponsoring the show, I've got some Summit EPA to accompany the disc, and because I'm shaking with anticipation (And quite possibly an addict's need for more booze), let me blab no more! On to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

"Masquerade Intro", while lazily named, opens us up with an erie aesthetic of carnival-ish music, thunder, and marching cadence. Bells toll and a final rumble of thunder takes us into the disc.

Vocals open on "With Loaded Guns" kicking into a super badass blues rock riff before backing into a groove-esque lower feeling verse. The vocals have and interesting chorus affect, but I'm intrigued to hear minimal delay. The riff opens us back up into the chorus, and you can hear some tell tale Schara-esque guitar effects in the back ground. Second verse lower feeling again, but with a little growth. Nice. Definitely on the groovy side over all on this track, and this is the side of Vaudeville I can't get enough of. While it doesn't sound the SAME, it definitely captures tones of Vendetta's "Hideaway". God, that chorus riff is just badass as all hell. Great first (real) track!

"I'll Follow You" opens with a nice acoustic guitar. A little clean solo... The song is interesting, but definitely is giving an almost pop feel. Not that that's terrible, but it provides a very interestedly harsh contrast to it's predecessor. The chorus is an interesting low key-yet-aggressive-ish sound. It's pretty cool, but over all I'm a little blah on this track.I think the layered vocals in the chorus were a good idea, but the mixing gives them a feel that's a little... Weird? I don't know... I'm definitely not sold on this one...

Here we are at the one track I've heard: "Through Bright Red Skies". Guitar effects open, and a sexy bass groove brings us in. There is this little guitar line that gives such a sexy tag on that bass line. The vocals are soft-ish with a hidden aggression, and the whole track lets you know it's about to unleash hell. And here it comes! Such a great aggressive stop dn start chorus. And back into the pure sex that is that verse. This song deserves a cigarette. Mmm... music smoke. Ooh. Transistion into a VERY Schara solo. Perfectly fitting to the song. Aggressive pounding to finish it off... Hot.

Slowing it sown out of that is "Into The Blue". Opens on acoustic and voice. This song, again, has a slight pop-esque feel, but the production is a little nice on this one.Cool stop there. This is scores ahead of "I'll Follow You". Simple, but elegant. Dropping... Into a build? Maybe, but regardless, I love the vocal melodies here. Ooo. Nice growth... Guitars making a push... so subtle, but sooo there! Into a nice payoff. Driving us onward. Adding a nice bite to the beautiful vocals... And drop off... Awesome. some nice bass licks from Mr. Kosel. Cool.

Guitar and drums open our closer, "Where Darkness Lies". Vocals add to this sexy darkness. Again, such a quiet anticipation is created, and when it opens up, the pay off is awesome. Chorus brings us back around to that killer verse... Builds nicely back into the second chorus. I really love the lyrics in the chorus. The guitar interplay is awesome. builds.. Drops... Bass... And heres the guitar... Way cool feel here... Reminicent of the 28 Weeks Later theme. Sooo cool. Building. Those guitars are just icing to open up... Building awesomely! Mr's Vaudeville, I'm ready for my cumshot... =P Still building. So much whoa... Drops on voice and... Oh shit. Nothing... But, like... And amazing nothing... Like, I was all ready, and then they disappeared and I'm left. Covered in rock splooge, and feeling... Satisfied. Oh, so satisfied.

Final Thoughts:
So, as with Vendetta, there is a single track, that is glaringly not great for me, but the placement is great, because it's sandwiched between a killer opener, and a powerful middle track, I can practically forget it as soon as it ends. That being said, killer effort from what is, in my opinion, THE premier Minneapolis band. From the eerie intro taking us into "With Loaded Guns" to the powerful vanishing act of the close of "Where Darkness Lies", The Masquerade is a ride everyone needs to take themselves on.

It should be noted, I will soon be doing a more "official" write up of this disc on EMURG (Link below), and I will be present at the May 17th Release Show at First Ave. Find me, say "Hi... You're blog is the single best authority on music I've ever read." Seriously say all of that. I might buy you a drink (Not happening, I'm poor).

-Badhorse

Like what you've read? Then "Like" the blog for "real" on Facebook! Want to tell me how shitty my review was (it wasn't)? Pollute my Twitter! In a band with an album on the horizon, or know of an album you think I'd like/hate? Let's chat! If you are looking for a review with a little more coherency, I also write for EMURG.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment