Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Modern Kick! - Double Review: The Modern Era - Holiday EP & Kick - Away From The World

I'm so excited for MAY! Yeah, there's Spring (which is taking way to long to fully arrive),  the NFL Draft (Go Chiefs!), and the continuing forth season of Game of Thrones(Is anyone else happy about what happened to Joffery?); but what has me beyond fucking pumped is the local music coming out this month!

Local music is such a beautiful thing too many fail to cherish until it has withered into shitty bar cover bands and overly heavy high school metal bands. I've seen it happen (I used to live in Iowa). This is why everyone should support local music! Find a band that you enjoy. MEET them! Hang with them! That's the beauty of it all. You can enjoy not only the sounds they produce, but the people behind the music. You can experience shows with the bands. Experience their rises and falls. All of this with people creating amazing things right in your own city. Local music is a beautiful privilege, but as will all privileges, it can be taken away. Cherish it NOW! (End lecture)

The point of that lecture is that there are two amazing bands that I am reviewing tonight that I have been around for a while. With each one, I saw them. Loved the music, and later met the members of the respective groups, and now have a connection to them. The first, The Modern Era, I first saw as Machine 22 while playing a show with them in my old-shitty punk band. Since that time, they've sort of rebranded themselves, but are still cranking out killer tunes and shows. The second, Kick, I saw after a friend told me about them. It was a show in the back room of a coffee shop, and I will never forget it. The energy alone was electric, and although front man, Jake Kemble, has promised a more varied showing on Away From The World, I'm sure I will love it. (It should also be known that Kick abandoned Iowa for a more lively music scene in MPLS. Let that in itself be a lesson to all on supporting your local bands!)

What a fine group of young gents!

I am beyond excited for this; I even went out and got a Sierra Nevada IPA sampler because if I'm doing multiple bands, why not have multiple beers? (I mean multiple kinds. I ALWAYS have multiple beers.) 
What are they looking at?

Now, let it be known that just because I love these bands and the people in them doesn't mean I'm going easy on them. If there are things I don't enjoy, they will be known (The beer will see to that); however, I have a feeling they won't disappoint. Now that I've tried a few of my IPA options, I do believe I'm ready to quit yapping and start rocking (But you know, while still yapping), so on to the review!

Album (#1):

Alcohol:

Holiday opens up with "Like A Hot Knife". Guitars come in nice and bouncy before the drums push us into a nice little guitar solo. As the song settles into the verse, I hear Mr. Jack Swaggers smexy voice. The song definitely has a garage-y punk sound, and the little guitar solos are nice. The song as a whole is nice and bouncy, and oh, I loved that little stop and shout thing. Nothing earth shaking about what's happening, but what is happening is awesome. Fun tune.

The disc pushes right into"Everyone We Know Is A Ghost". This track has a little darker feel even though the intro still retains a bit of bouncy. Okay, here we are settling in the verse. As the song moves on it is a slightly slower tune. The guitar moving in the background of the chorus is a nice touch. I love the movement of the tune. And the stripped down verses growing through out and into the chorus. Well done. I love the use of gang vocals here and there. It really speaks to my inner punk kid. Really cool driving finish.

Thaaaat sets us right into "Are You Sure?" a killer punk tune. The guitars keep moving with a cool little duel line. The chorus is short and sweet, but nice. Second verse drops to fuzz bass with guitar accents. I like the change up. Sweet.

Slower to open the closer and title track: "Holiday". Nice movement from bouncy verse into slower pre chorus. This tune has a definite retro feel. I dig it a lot. Some nice "Do-Whaaas" I like. Cool track.

Final Thoughts:
Although it's a small showing, The Modern Era definitely gives a sense of diversity on Holiday. The disc is nice and fun without coming across as fluffy. My only reservation is that it was hardly long enough for this beer to really take hold. I'm hoping for a full length effort sometime soon. Please?

Album (#2):

Alcohol:
See above

"Electric Love" opens us up with a sound of... A record? Moves nicely into a drumbeat, and the guitars fly in before dropping into the verse. Supre high energy here. Nice movement right into the fun chorus. Killer solo to fill in there. The vocals are nice and fun. Hooks are abound. And I love the little tags here and there like the scream before the second chorus. Drop to bass... Ooo.. Gimme that guitar. Building.... Scream, and a nice open up. Beatiful. Killeer.

Moving right along, the guitar opens up "Sick Religion". The song has anise funk rock feel. The vocals stay nice and hooky--holy shit that was the coolest interlude thingy EVER! Weird little speaky thingy, and back into that funk rock verse. And giving me that badass driving interlude. Sick. Dropping to drums and guitar ringing out. And now, guitar and voice... Building... Ooooooooo. Scream! And halftime interlude... Cool. Love it.

"Miricles" slows us down a bit in the open, but then, the electric guitar coms in giving us a little bit of bit. Drops to voice and bass. Growing as the guitar comes in. Beautiful movement and composition there. The song has so many rises and falls, but it doesn't feel jerky in them. Lyrically, it flirts with cheesiness with out ever really getting there, and in fact, hits nicely because of it. Nice drop to acoustic with and electric solo. Growing back into the Oooo-Ooo. Part. Nice pause in the final chorus really pushing things bigger. Nice.

"don't Let it bee" comes in with guitar,a nd bass. And takes off as the drums come in. Dropping down for the verse. The bass keeping things moving though. The vocals by contrast drawing out. And then moving a bit faster.. Build... Drop to guitar and voice..... And bam! Super hooky, and fun. Back into the verse. Very similar here. Voice a little shaky there, and felt rushed, but thoughts of that are washed away by the chorus. Very nice. Nice pouch into the final chorus. Love it.

Another final/title track, "Away From The World" opens with voice and guitar. there is a really cool delay effect happening. The song settles into a nice but VERY slow groove. The guitar showing very different colors here And really, this track drops the enter--nevermind, the bass is coming in. Driving... Awesome pick up there! Still slower, but bigger here. and dirty. Sexy dirty... A second open up... Bigger. Awesome!

Final Thoughts:
Amazing. The first few track fill you with this electrifying energy, and leave you completely unprepared for the epicness of "Away From The World". It's like the whole album is a set up for the most amazing unfunny joke in the world, meant to be enjoyed by all. Am I making sense? No? You're right, I had better drink more.

I should mention, both of these albums will be available for your buying pleasure on May 9th. This is also coinciding with what promises to be a most epic release show featuring both bands. And for all of you close enough to go, tickets can be purchased here.

Go to this show! Support local bands in whatever city you are in. Remember, every band out there that is huge got it's start playing to crowds of 10 at a shitty little bar in their home town. Be one of those ten!

-Badhorse

Like what you've read? Then "Like" the blog for "real" on Facebook! Want to tell me how shitty my review was (it wasn't)? Pollute my Twitter! In a band with an album on the horizon, or know of an album you think I'd like/hate? Let's chat! If you are looking for a review with a little more coherency? I also write for EMURG.com.

1 comment:

  1. The Kick album really it's awesome! Haven't heard Modern Eras yet but I'm sure it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete