Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Loud Like I Need Better Beer... Placebo - Loud Like Love

There are many ways to make this blogger happy. This is not one of them:

This is what sadness looks like.

Last week, I drank leftover Long Island Iced Tea from my mother's stay. That was acceptable, and did the job well. This left over, however, is neither good nor is it an affective drink. It's been staring me down from my refrigerator for the past two weeks, and since I have no booze fund until payday on Friday, it will accompany my review tonight. I'm sorry, Placebo, you deserve better. (Also, sorry to put down your beer of choice, Mum, but seriously, you need some IPA in your consumption. <3)

With a cover this bright I should have done Albums & Psychedelics.


So, my alcohol issues aside, I am very excited about this particular review. I have been familiar with Placebo for a few years now, and adore almost all that I have heard. I'm expecting this won't be different, but as with The Used review, I'm hoping I'm not unpleasantly surprised.

So (*Drink followed by cringe*) on with the review!

Album:

Alcohol:
Ugh... Miller Lite

The title track opens calmly before bursting into a nice fast-paced pseudo-punk feel. It calms into the first verse keeping the calm opening riff going through out. There are some cool electronics happening, and the breakdown-ish thing coming out of the verse is cool. The vocals are great, and although the song is simple, it is enjoyable. They brought back the breakdown-ish part and are growing out of it with a cool feel, and bring it back into another chorus, cool, but a little bland. However, the "We are loud like love" refrain gives this song a definite climax as it drops back to just vocals and the opening riff.

Picking up off of the drop off comes "The Scene of the Crime". It has subtle music to intro under Brian's excellent vocals. Seriously, his voice is harsh in all the best ways. This song is low key, but definitely has a cool groove, and I like the drop out build up after the first chorus. Bring in keys which is nice. The use of electronics thus far is so cool to me. They are done VERY tastefully, and add a whole depth, as this song end with a fading chord and back and forth electronic pingy sounds.

And the piano opens up to "Too Many Friends". This is the only song I've heard off of this albums, and has an astounding video. Seriously, watch it! The guitars are so cool. They have a somewhat accent only presence in the verse that keeps rolling into the chorus but with a more flowing feel. And the transition out of the chorus is so badass. The chugging feel of the second verse is just enough of a change to keep this on moving in a really awesome linear way. I can definitely tell why this was the single, as the beautiful guitar tone is left to ring out and end the song.

Coming in with a light guitar line is "Hold On To Me". Which sounds to be a song about aging, and although, I'm only in my twenties, the song still rings poignant. Brian is wonderful with lyrics, and this song definitely lets them shine. Post the second chorus, there is a guitar line that, while nothing spectacular, definitely serve to drive the song, and now, drop out to synth organ/strings. That was odd and abrupt, but I've known Placebo to do transitions like this, and it grows back into the guitar line with the organ strings accompanying. Spoken word is happening which is both eery and pretty. Music drops to ringing strings and synth as the song ends.

"Rob the Bank" starts out of silence with those words exactly. And this is the exact sort of feel that made me fall in love with Placebo. Half silly lyrics with a driving and almost messy grunge feel. "Rob the Bank/Then, take me home/And make love". I love the feel, and the grinding high pitched guitar lines. The bridge tosses back and forth from rhythmatic to fluid before dropping out to a voice and beat verse that grows. Stops. And brings in a definite finale chorus with a punch you in the balls ending. Favorite thus far.

Coming out of that ending is the very pretty sounding "A Million Little Pieces". The piano opens with a nice line that drops for a stripped down verse and comes back in as it builds. The second verse brings in a slight bit of grunge, and then the piano comes back eventually giving us a really nice build into a drop off. The drop off builds again slowly into a tiny, pretty explosion of a chorus. Coming into a nice refrain to end the song driving. I can't state enough how each of these songs have a beautiful story-esque structure, and I feel poised to head toward a climax of the disc.

Carrying off of the low key feel, "Exit Wounds" opens with voice over a cool electronic beat. Key hint at growth, and a synth swell opens into that sweet, sweet guitar tone from "Too Many Friends" before dropping out to a stripped down beat and really letting Brian's voice do its thing, and I want his voice "So bad I can taste it". God, They have such a cool feel. Electronics come in with a neat line over driving guitars leading us into a bridge of sorts. That opens into another chorus. While the chorus is not far from the rest, this song has all kinds of sex appeal that makes up for it as it ends with the low key refrain "Put me in the ground":.

Aned here comes some badass. An electronic riff opens up the faster paced "Purify". And OH the electronics. Seriously, this is one of the only bands that can get me hot over their electronics usage. I think it's because they make it a thing with out it being a thing, you know? No? Well, listen to this song. You'll get it. Ohh, drop to bass and beat. And kicks back in to a sexy chorus. And the dissonacne being used in the chorus? Boner! Driving. Driving. Driving... Bam! Helluva ending.

"Begin The End" picks up with a subtle entry with keys and another electronic beat. Bass give this a sense of impending doom, and I can't wait. Growing. An almost military beat pushes everything along. The build staves off a bit but the military-esque beat continues, and the build comes back. The lyrics pushingeverything along as well. Chords changing... Build... And back off. Ohmygod! The tension is so high... Building again. I NEED a payoff at this point. I have an erection the size of a house and it needs to--hear it comes... Guitars building in... Almost there! Oh... Cock tease drop off to naked voice to end.

Blue balls are left as the piano brings us into "Bosco". "I love you more than any man/But something's getting in the way" Yeah, Brian. My swollen balls. =P That being said, I like the drop off into a slow opening to the finale of the album, but let's wait and see where this goes. Thus far the song speaks of being dysfunctional in a relationship due to alcohol. Something I am completely familiar with. Even as I write this, my wonderful girlfriend is waiting for me to come to bed. So thank you, Brian, for reminding me that I am an ass. However, I think that's the point you're making, so you know, kudos. This song is very beautiful, and now kicks in with a more up tempo after the second chorus. Still a rather depressing feel vocally, but I'm feeling better with the uplifting-ish beat. Third chorus pushes through and builds out with strings. So pretty, I can't even complain about my blue balls, after all, it ends with the refrain "How I suck you dry". Thank you, Placebo. =)

Final Thoughts:
This is definitely Placebo (believe me I did my research!). And done amazingly. While, admittedly, I was less than stoked about the opening/title track, the theme set up carries through the album amazingly. This may be the best flowing album I've reviewed yet, and the writing style is near flawless.  I was hoping for a touch more badassery, but Placebo delivered with cool and pretty in a way that make badassery not even necessary. Sigh, I may have to make a little room in my booze fund just to buy this album. You should too, but only if you still have some money for booze. I'm living proof that cheap beer will do. =P Only buzzing by the way. Fucking Miller.

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment