Wednesday, September 11, 2013

New Digs and Same Cigs: Arctic Monkeys - AM

It's been a long couple of weeks, my friends. I moved. It was hot. And upon my arrival, I discovered Xfinity was unable to transfer my interweb service. Hence there was a hiatus from both my blog and most interweb activity in general. This was a trying time in my life, ladies and gents.

Of course, not all was lost. I was able to take the time to nest in to my lovely new apartment:


Pictured: New Digs

Now, I find myself with half a bottle of Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea from my lovely mother, and internet access again, and thus, I will blog. As this apartment is new to me, I will likewise be reviewing a band new to me: Arctic Monkeys.

I have been told to check these guys out for a long time, and with the release of their new album coinciding with my move, I figured now is the time. 

This is what the sound of a bra unhooking looks like in wave form.

I am a good couple of drinks in and feeling loose. Hope you missed me! On to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

AM opens on "Do I Wanna Know?" It has a nice slow beat and sexy guitar line. Vocals sound nice. A very groovy sound. It builds in with a call and answer vocal line with nice falsetto. This grows into the vocals taking a chorus with straight voice and falsetto in unison. Post chorus it drops back into the verse, but in a nice touch, the falsetto carries over with accents. Musically, the song is staying pretty static, but the vocals give some cool feeling throughout. I'm thus far not blown away, but I can accept this as an opening track, and a nice semi-abrupt ending.

And a nice guitar vibratto opens up on "R U Mine?" I don't much care for the letters-as-words thing, but the groove stays put and I like that. The flow is still there. And the drop out to solely fuzz bass in the second verse is nice. Again, though the music is rather static, but the vocals do some cool and catchy things, and the falsetto accents continuing are cool. The bridge is sweet. A really cool blend of stops opening up to a naked voice. Good, but I'd like more of an umph ending.

Continuing on with the established groove and falsetto, "One for the Road" opens with vocals and has a sexy bassline. I'm getting a nice subtle build through the whole song. Things are moving from verse to chorus, and kicking in with a tambourine sounds nice. Dropping out with the title being repeated in falsetto and builds back into a guitar solo that doesn't impress, but fits. And another semi-abrupt ending to a semi-good tune. "R U Mine?" is still holding my vote as top song.

"Arabella" comes in with bass and grooves before kicking in the door with a stop and go guitar line, and this is the most aggressive the Arctic Monkeys have been thus far, and I like the dynamics as the second verse drops to bass again, but manages to continue building with subtle accents, and the second chorus comes in, and I'm slightly disappointed. There is generally no change. I got good build in the second verse, but the chorus undoes it, however, the bridge creates some cool things and a beautiful tone on that guitar solo. First solidly abrupt ending. 

"I Want It All" opens with a driving-ish gutar line, and until the second "I want it all" refrain, I'm bored. The drop out is cool, and I love the return. There is what I believe is a guitar playing, and the almost moog-esque tone is really cool. But I don't know that I could say the same on the song. And I'm set on not liking the song with that fade-out ending. Blegh.

A 60's sound opens "No. 1 Party Anthem", and I like the juxtaposition of the title with a ballad feel. The lyrics make me chuckle as they follow with the title, but the 60's ballad format. I love it. This is exactly the sort of thing I'd put on at a party to be an ass. And while, it isn't a super tune, I definitely appreciate the direction here. It ends on an organ ring, and I like it. Not wonderful, but a better song of an underwhelming bunch thus far.

Born out of that ending, comes a pretty guitar line on "Mad Sounds". It has a really cool 60's groove which totally justifies it's placement. It reminds of a song whose title escapes me at the moment. "Hey, listen, What's that sound? Everyone look what's going down." I like the feel. "Ooo-Lalala's" are a nice touch. I can dig this tune. Another organ ring ending.

And a quick beat beginning opens up to the fast grooving "Fireside". There is a really cool feel, but not a whole lot to go on. The builds into the choruses are cool with the falsetto "shu-waps", but over all I'm bored. Like, I've been more or less bored since "R U Mine?", but this is the first time, I really have been at a loss for something to write about.

Abrupt ending opens up to a song I feel like I've heard before. Like, on this album. "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" has the fortunate distinction of being the most interesting question being asked on this album. And thus far, all I can think to ask is why are there so many question song titles, and when is this album going to climax? Oh, it's over, and I didn't even get drawn in.

"Snap Out of It" comes in with a solid beat, and appropriately, I feel like this song is my last chance to be snapped out of boredom. There is a cool, feel, but nothing is being set apart form anything else on this album. It's like they took three song ideas and drug them out until they had an album. The bridge has a cool feel, but how many times have I said that on this album? There are cool feelings, but the executing of the song writing leaves me yawning, and wanting more booze.

Oh, that one ended. Guitar brings us into "Knee Socks". Which, I'm pretty sure is just a rehashing of One For the Road with different lyrics. Like... Seriously, variance doesn't have to be wide on an album. In fact, you hope an albums fits together, but you don't expect half of it to be essentially the SAME GODDAMN SONG. I am starting to understand the artwork. The album is the same sound repeated. Is it bad when the albums your reviewing becomes background music?

Oh yeah, that song ended... With an ending. And the lyrics "I want to be your vacuum cleaner" open "I Wanna Be Yours" and you've gott your wish, because you suck (Ha! Pun!). But seriously, this is your closer? I missed the climax. And now, you want to be mine without giving me anything significant? No, Arctic Monkeys. I don't have super high self worth, but I know I'm too good for you and your mediocre album. Yes, this song ends. No, I don't care enough to tell you how.

Final Thoughts:
Buy "R U Mine?" on iTunes. Rename it "Are You Mine?", and accept that the rest of this disc was meant to lull you to sleep. Each song begins with it's own sort of promise, but settles into a feeling that you haven't advanced the track. In my last entry, I complained about how The Used released an EP with only, like, three songs written. Well, the Arctic Monkeys release a FULL GODDAMNED ALBUM with about the same amount of legitimate material. So no, do not buy this one, and from here on out, anyone suggesting for me to listen to Arctic Monkeys had better give me a significant chunk of music that sounds like nothing on this disc or I will assume that this band has been riding the same damn songs to fame for years. Ugh.

The end,
-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment