Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bruised Rib and a childhood hero - Boston - Life, Love & Hope

Long ago, this humble blogger was killing time while his father was doing work on cars. You see, cars were never a big interest, and although his father would try, the child would never take. However, in the garage, next to an old component stereo, there was a cassette case. This is always where the child's attention went when his father started to work. Sifting through its contents, he discovered the likes of Billy Joel, ZZ Top, .38 Special, etc. These were all fun to listen to; however, the one cassette that he fell in love with completely had a set of guitar-shaped spaceships on it.

As he got older, he learned of the magical tale of badassery that was this album's creation. The epic innovations of Tom Schulz, and the pure shitatical-ness that was the music industry. You can read all about it here.

Bringing us to today, when an album 10 years in the making is being released by a band I have adored for nearly my entire life.

If the future doesn't look EXACTLY like this, you can count me out.

I am beyond pumped for this one, and fresh off a Thanksgiving trip to my native Iowa, nostalgia is still lingering with me (Also lingering is the pain from slipping on snow and bruising my ribs to clarify the title). So before I carry on with anymore musings from my youth, on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

The disc opens with "Heaven on Earth". A nice riff gives way to a slowly building bridge. Not too much of an open up, but a nice ballad feel. The vocals are very low, but nice. And I like the guitar compliments. I'm not really being wowed here, but it's early, and I have hope. Cool guitar parts, but over all this one is kind of blah...

Opening with a phone ringing over an organ is "Didn't Mean to Fall in Love". This is another slow moving ballady tune. really pretty guitar work there. Whoa. Abrupt change up into that organ line. Vocals are still way too quiet for me. This song is giving me an 80s pop vibe, and I'm not sure how I feel about that... Fixed the vocals with my EQ; however, it did little for the 80s pop thing. =/ Not that it's bad thus far, but certainly off from my expectations. Ew. Fade out ending. Bad choice. ALWAYS.

"Last Day of School" opens with keys and some nice, promising guitars. Lost of cool things happening here. Still mellow, but this is quickly restoring my hopes. This seems to be an all instrumental track, and it's a beauty. Cool track.

"Sail Away" opens with a weird feel and some interesting samples. Epic feel as the guitars come in. Cool drop out into piano. Strings slowly come in. Such a tension with vocals and guitars. Building. Drop to the samples. Into an almost marching chorus. Cool feel, but still so far off of what I was expecting. God, those guitars are epic though. Second chorus, nothing too special. Interesting breakdown. Cool ending.

The title track comes out of the abrupt ending in a driving fashion, and again, my hopes raise. Still a little mellow, but the disc is definitely picking up pace. Cool vocal chords in the chorus there. But I'd like a little more umph. Thus far, the album has been considerably lackluster. There are cool things, but the songs over all are just.. blah...

"If You Were in Love" comes in with keys, and a female voice. Guitars add build. Really cool feel as the song grows. This is the one... I know it. Settling into a chorus... Drop out to keys and voice again. Build, but nothing pays off. Building again... nope. At the very least, this is pretty. Cool build. And the guitars seem to push through the utter muddiness that is the voice. It's like everyone is shying away from really ripping on vocals. They are just soooo static.

"Someday" comes in with a slightly up beat tempo, but still, the vocals are just boring. I appreciate the harmonies, but where are the soaring vocals that made me fall in love with the band? Am I listening to a choral rendition of the album? Did they forget to ad the lead vocal tracks to the final mixes? Cool harmonica. Also cool organ. Meh song.

Moving onward, "Love Got Away" opens with *gasp* a single voice with guitar. This has a kind of cool feel, but the vocals are so quiet except when there are ten of them, and then, it's like, in your face, but not in the good way... Really cool solo here. The music is SOOOOO ambitious, but I feel no justice is being given by the vocals. There may be cool things happening lyrically, but they are all either buried by too quiet single voices, or too muddy choral voices. What gives, Boston?

"Someone (2.0)" comes in with a cool organ and some nice guitars. The voice, again, lacking any umph whatsoever. Well, my hope is al but squandered here. And god, the music wants me to hold on, because its sooooo good, but you NEED the voice to be there. Sadly, I don't think I ccan drink this album better, but I am damn sure gonna try...

I was drinking, so I wasn't typing out anything when this song opened, but thus far the strongest vocal showing is here. Ohmygosh! Belting. Vocal swelling with guitars! It can happen! Oh! drop out with Naked voice holding a beautiful note. Guitar solo. Cool. drop out. Best song on the album thus far. Not saying a lot. Cool driving guitar behind pretty acoudstic. awesome kick in! There's BostoN! Took until the second t last song, but I knew they'd get there.

Final track. Opens with piane. And another 80s pop tun. Drinking again.... This song gives me the feeling that John Cusak i standing outside my window. Which makes me feel special and dirty at the same time. Mostly because I'm in my underwear, drunk, and, let's face it, I'd hit that just to say iv'e been there at this point. Goddamn you alcohol. What's that? Oh, the disc ended. 

Final Thoushts:
Sooooooo... I'm gonna go listen to the first Boston recod to wash out this bad taste in my ears. That is all.

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment