Saturday, December 21, 2013

Two Gingers, Two albums, Too Drunk - Double Header RBR - Floater and Queens of the Stone Age

Hello, all, and welcome to one of the worst ideas I've ever had. No, not this blog in general (though, believe me, it's up there), but a review double header. Really, it's nights like these I'm reminded of why my liver hates me.

Any who, the first disc I will be doing is a band named Floater. This was requested by my lovely girlfriend, Brigitte.

Here we are with our "special" kitty.

The album I will be reviewing by Floater is 1995's Glyph. I've heard one song, and I'm pretty pumped about what else could be on this.

I am also wonderfully terrified of this cover.

The second disc will be the latest from Queens of the Stone Age (Henceforth known as "Queens"), ...Like Clockwork.

Yet another pleasantly haunting album cover.

This request comes from a good friend, Jonny, and incidentally, is the request I missed in November, so sorry, dude, I owe you a drink.

And if you give me that cute cigarette face, maybe two. *Wink*

Alright, kids, now that you know the important stuff, I have a lot of music to cover and too much booze to get me there, so I say, on to the review! ...s, I mean reviewsssssss. 

Album 1:

Alcohol:

"The Knowing Dirge" kicks off this ill advised drinking excursion with a creepy-esque sample. Subtle strumming thing building with a drum. Drop out. Stick clicks, and back into a driving bass with chords. Tremming vocals create a very cool and haunting feel. Hard to understand, but the atmosphere created provides more than enough understanding. A really cool mellow burst. A slow and eerie tune, but really cool feel. God, I miss the 90s. Granted, I was, you know, five when this came out. Such a cool lowkey tension. EXCELLENT drop out. The vocals coming more clear. Such a big sound yet a subtle song. Very modern Floyd-esque. I dig the very tribal drum soundGreat opener to set up a dark tone. 

"...but Rain Never Came" carries on the very tribal feel, and proves to be transitional track into...

"Cinema". Opens heavy and driving with a sample and into distorted vocals. Moving into a cool sounding low vocals. I love the push and simplistic drive. The subtle dynamics keep your attention well while the song scoots right along with a single riff. Into a more open up part. That moves into a nice riff break. I can hear the frethand movement on the strings. God, I love that sound. Breaking it down. The structuring of the songs thus far are amazing. So linear, yet all tied together. Finally a refrain of sorts. Cool ending.

Into samples to open "MIdnight Ride". Wait... This may be all samples. No. Here comes the music. With really cool guitar harmonics (I think) happening in the foreground with the bass and drums slowly building behind. Tribal beat here as well. Nice subtle build. into a haze of samples.

This leads us right into "All the Stories but One". The song opens with a beat and groooooovy guitar.  The feel of this song is sooooo cool. And here cuts in distorted guitar slowing everything down. Dragging it really. Such a cool feel created by the music. slowly returning to the groove. I like this tune. A LOT. Back into the sludge. Now growing into a fast pace. Awesome guitar line. Beautiful bass licks. This is easily one of the coolest things I've ever heard. And into heavy, fast awesome. Breaking down now. Fast again. Holy shit. And now completely breaking down. Were has this band been all my life?I think that's the only type of fade out ending I've ever been okay with...

Little slow guitar lick gives way to a scream and the heavy pushing guitars of "Dead". This tune has an excellent bouncy while staying super heavy. Breakdown to bass. And back into the heavy, bouncy guitar. I'm in love with all of the riffs on this disc. Nice pounding interlude. All of the awesomeness happening is not being done justice by my words... I'd better get a little more drunk...Sweet ending.

"Intermezzo" has some wind sounds and a guitar as it opens. This may be another transistional instrumental track. It works great to settle out the upbeat pacing created by its former tracks. What's will it lead to?

"Isolation" comes in with some samples of sorts, and a nice bass line and drums. Guitar comes in wet and slow. The flow of the albums is amzing and they are using trasistional tracks exactly as they should be. Holy shit! Fucking the growth here into an almost blues feel with the organ?! I'm in love. Dropping back. Moving back into that blues feel. Great bidge here. Guitars solo so nasty in an amazing way. Beautiful.

"Clean Plastic Baby" grows out of that with a heart beat sample. Heart montior beep. Into choral. Into heavy groove. I want the fingers of this bass player. Slow grungy jam here. The pace changing. It's beautiful in the song and is the perfect placement on the disc to keep from staying in a lull from the previous track with out abrasively changing pace. Soo much amazing. Faster and driving here. Drop. and into a more heavy bouncy again. This song is ALL over the place. I LOVE it. Dropping here and continuing to move linearly with the music. Slow groove... Driving. Building. So much build. Dear god. Still... Building. Getting heavy here.... And down again... Soo much tension right now... Heavy again.Cool slow heavy pay off. I will take it. Creepy deep distorted voice. Amazing.

Samples come out of that to open "The Face of Order", and the song opens in a bouncy heavy fashion. Setting in with the bass before bringing the guitar back in with the voice. I haven't talked much about the voice at this point, but it's, like, ugly. Good ugly. I mean, he sings well in terms of being decently on pitch, etc. But its so shouty and nasty, but in all the best ways. I love it. So fitting to the music. The transitions in and out of slow fast lowkey, and in your face are seemless. The song structuring is incredible, the riffs are amazing, the flow is beautiful. This albums is, at this point, flawless. Awesome speed up here. Into the end. Amazing.

"Pet" opens with acoustic gutar. Breaking up the pace of the heaviness of the preceding track to provide a much needed breather of intensity. Perfectly timed, but then, I would expect no less at this point. I'm on only my fifth drink at this point as I'm trying to pace myself a bit. I've never had alcohol poisoning before, and I'd like to keep that streak going. This song is super pretty. 

Samples open "PErsecutor" and into bassline. This song is bouncy, but like, bouncy happy. It's really cool, and really cool. It threw me for a loop a bit after the--oh, here's some heavy guitars. The song stays almost cheery though... In htat darkish, not-cheery sort of way. You know? No? Well, give it a listen. Cool guitar solo. Okay, the musicianship on this album is making me hate my hands and fingers for never achieving that sort of control, and my brain for not putting together amazing songs like this. But that a good thing. It's good when an album makes me hate myself. I am convinced that this band is capable of anyting at this point. 

Whoah... Acoustic guitar opens "Bottle", and the voice feels completely different... The flow into this song was seemless, but the voice has me lost... Jsut a second... Yep, different vocalist. Google, you rule.

And now the only song I've heard, "The Sad Ballad of Danny Boy". Fun and bouncy drinky tune. Into heavy jam. Love it, and it has not lead me into a bad spot, as this album is simple amazing. Bringing back the fun bounce. Great tune. Into that awesome riff in the bridge. Excellent. A little weird placement, but it amazzingly flows beautifully into...

...The final track, "Crawl Into You". Slow tune. Samples coming in and out. very pretty. The whiskey is just now making its presents known. Pacing is hard, and I'm slightly worried about making it through the next disc. Not to get ahead of myself this is a nice ballad. And there comes the heavy as the guitars come in distorted with a nice solo line. This is like Soundgarden and Pnk Floyd making swet love while Primus sits in the corner creepily stroking itself. So sexy. Incredibly sexy. Awwww! Fade out ending! Really! You gave me perfection and thats how you end it?! Fuck you! No, seriously, I love you. Please, come back to me? Yes? Yay!

Final Thoughts:
Flawless until the final ten seconds. And those are in no way enough to spoil it. Liste to Floater. NOW!


*************


Oh god... Here we go...

Album 2:

Alcohol:
Still sucking down that bottle of 2Gingers.

"Keep Your Eyes Peeled" opens our second album with smples of crashes before moving into a really cool bass line and drums. That tone is... electronical awesomeness. The song itself is a nice slow jam plodding along. A flash of aggression. Really cool. Not far from the Floater sound actually. And I dig it. Ooo. Break into a distorted drum with pretty vocals. Theres the aggression again. Nice. Into a beautifull driving bridge. The guitar and vocal interplay is awesome. Drop into drum fill befoer moving bace to the slow jam. Drop out-ish. Bowed strings to end it.

Into "I Sat By The Ocean" which comes in much more standard rock and rool. Will a cool little guitar solo. I love the use of weird tones and affect thus far. This song is rather straight forward. But really fun. The use of the synth there is awesome. Nice building chorus dropping back into the opening lick. I dig. Shit. Sleepiness is combining ith alcohol. This means drink more, right? I will say that Queens is a group that I've always enjoyed, but never checked out. I'm, thus far, glad thatthis is the disc I'm diging in on. The first two track are cool, and that was an amazing ending.

Carrying into "The Vamp of time and memmory" yep. Song titles are getting short handd-ish right now. I'm doing well on tying for the amount of alcohol in my system and I'm not gonna mess it up (Watch me mess it up). By the way. This song is INCREDIBE. Sweet slow groove with some great sunds and cool things happening. I love the subtle harmonis. The lyrics are coming a cross a bit corny, bt the song is awesome. Another really cool solo. and again the guitar interplays with teh vocals. Cool track.

"If I Hd A Tail" comse in slow, and the drums kick in a nother grover track. Bowie-esque vocals and the whole song really feels like 80s Bowie, and I LOVE 80s bowie, so this is nid.e. IT's cool to listen to exactly how---cool guitars solo AGAIN! Exactly how little instrumentation there is yet the song writing creates so much depth. I love it. I can't read what I"m typing very weell, so I'm gonna got a head and wing it... I'm sorry for any lack of coherency. Weird ending thing...

Leads into "My God Is TTe sun". Driving. This woke me up, and that driving bass is keppker... KeikkFuck. Killer! Killer. keiller. Shit. :This song is cool. Driving,a nd yets still has that cool groover. Rally cool writing here. I dif this song a lot . that fall apart part is brilliatn! Holy shit. And drive int tohe hend.

"Kalopsie" I have no I dea if i yped that right.. This song is aweosme snyway. Slow into pounding. Rally cool. The tones ad sounds here are awesome. Theyve been making nice use of keys too. I keep hereing a bowie vibe. Guitar = AMAZING. holy shit. That kick in! Fvorite track thus far on the disc. Right here.

Group of voices open "Fairweather FriendS". Into a really nice set of guitar lines. Dynamics abound o theis sisc. The guitar work is so cool as well. God, the keys and gtar interplay is awsoe! Badass guitar. So badass. Cool abrub end int...
"SmoothSailing" now this is fucking groove. Holshit. This is playing with evey drunk bone in my body... Which is all of them. I love the vocals so much. It's all good. And the little guitar runs are so cool as well. This is the sort of song I want to have sex to and follow the rhythms witht eh thrusting until my girlfriend looks at me, like, why, I am not enjoyin gthis as much as you, just do me right... May have shared a little too much there... Still. Sexy tune. Whoah... That part moving towar the end... So weird and cool. POW!

"I Appear Missing" oves along opening with a very slow groove feel. I dig it.  Opens up nicely. Nothing uer special, it's really cool, but just a refrained section thus far... Lest see whre it heads.cooll tesion building. Drop out... Back in and... Drop... Back in... Repeating.. Nope heres. Shit it is repeating. Kind of. Really cool. I like all of the movement here. Cool guitar work again... No shredding. Just... Feeling int. Cool driving moving toward the ending... Another acceptable fade out as the musc fades to naked voice.

The title track, also the closer, "...Like clockwork" openss with ckeys. Slow and pretty. Keys and voice is all thus far.Really nice falsetto. I really love the voice. Hvae I said that? I think mayve?
Really cool grotwth as everyting kicks in. And yet agian some awesome guitarwork. Strings are cool too. Drop to piano. An bas and drums kink in. Nice push into the ending.

Final Thoughts (Again):
Really cool disc. Too drunk to say more. Check it out. I have to whn I'm less... thins....

Gotta rest... Comment. And... autsad.sf;hsadfjl;ksadf. Fuck typen.

-Badhorse


No comments:

Post a Comment