Friday, April 4, 2014

New Fox, Old Cock - Foxy Shazam - Gonzo

It's been a hell of a week, my friends. I traversed back to civilization from a weekend in the far and distant mythical land of Iowa. It was a safe trip. I then decided exactly 4 hours before it's start that I was going to the Against Me! show at First Ave, and that was one of the best decisions I've ever made (Even though I blew roughly $200 and had to work on only four hours of drunken sleep). Now, I am in the lovely position of listening to an album I'm extremely excited about: Gonzo, by Foxy Shazam.

Are those...? My god, I think those are ball sacks!

I first heard Foxy Shazam when I went to see The Darkness (also at First Ave), and they were supporting. I immediately fell in love with Eric Nally (I mean really. I thought he was a girl wearing a glue on mustache), and the band as a whole blew me away as no other live act has to date. Church of Rock and Roll (2012) is one of my favorite shower albums, and shower music for me is, like, sacred.

Also, near and dear to my hear is that 47 pound cock, His Royal Majesty: Rex Goliath. I drank the Moscato for my blog on Less Than Jake's See The Light, and to prove I'm a manly man, I'm drinking the Pink Moscato tonight. And as I am anxious to get this 47 pound cock into my mouth (Oh yeah, I'm that manly!), on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

The album opens with it's title track on a fun and very distorted guitar line. Trumpet comes in, and after a bit, the song settles into a slow groove. The production thus far feels rough, but not in a bad way. The song grooves on in a nice way. Swtiching to more of a drive here with the keys going in the background. LOVE that organ. And the groove comes back with the trumpet and vocals. Drop out and feedback. Kicking back into the groovy chorus. Cool open.

The groove continues on "Poem Pathetic". I really like the jazzy feel here. The vocals are actually mixed low which is alright. Growth here. And it opens us a little and then snaps back... Tossing back and forth from give to slow and pretty... Now back to the groove. Love a lot of what the trumpet is doing here. Drop down to synth and vocals... Now trumpet... Now kick in. I can dig. 

"Brutal Truth" Comes in with some sweet fuzz bass. Kicks in hard, and settles into a nice driving groove. This tune is grungy sexiness and thus far my favorite I think. The trumpet continues to be a highlight for me... The little licks are just fun as hell. So dirty. Naughty and dirty and awesome. 

Moving on, "Tragic Thrill" opens with keys and drums. Vocals come in softly, and I'm somewhat missing the force and power usually present in Nally's vocals... Like, he still is giving a great showing, but I'm missing that umpiness, and I think it's a product of the lowly mixed vocals... Ooo. Nice dynamic growth there... This is a really pretty tune. Not blown away here, but it's good. 

"Have The Fun" opens with guitar, and settles into this rove of sorts. I love that farty guitar. This song has this quiet power, and i like it a lot. A lot of gritty nastiness here as well. I really dig this tune actually... Like, I've been lulled into a trance by it... And oh, now its over...

"Shoe Box" a little more like what I'm used to with Foxy, and its good. Such a cool feel to it. The whole album is somewhere between 90s grunge and barroom jazz fusion. I can't knock on that. Its definitely a cool sound albeit not what i'm used to with Foxy. Still love their composition and arrangement... Lovely build there, and final chorus filled with energy. Cool ending.

Poppy groove opens "Don't Give In". feeling good here again, but still wanting more volume from the vocals. Such a pretty performance, and while the rest of the band is giving me a lot as well, if those vocals just popped a bit more... Ooo... I like that driving part. Liking the lyrics too... Just need to hear them... Whoa! This little heavy part is cool as hell! Fun Tune.

Bass takes us into "In This Life" giving a nice subtle groove. I love he set up happening here... Settles into a ballad chorus. Pretty 70s sitcom esque trumpet. I'm okay with that. The whole song really has a modernized 70s ballad vibe.... Nice build there... Very ballad, like, not in a typical ballad way though. You know? No? Just have to hear it, I guess.

"Story Told" begins the end of this album in a slow fashion. picking up from the 70s ballad vibe of its predecessor, and expanding on the jazzy tones. Ooo... Nice. groove and ugly ugly guitars ripping in in the sexiest of ways... And back down... Bringing back the trumpet--wait... Recapping the album in lyrics? Eric, be my wife? Killer... And getting nasty again. I dig this a lot. Lowfi-esque aggression... Beautiful.

Final Thoughts:
Alright, not what I was expecting from my beloved Foxy Shazam, but I won't lie (unless the authorities are involved). When I saw Steve Albini pro ducted, I knew this album was going to be out there, and out there, it was, but in that sexy out there kinda way that only Albini can make happen. I liked the disc, but I had to fight every fiber of my being against the desire for sexy soaring solos and straight up rock and roll. We've been taken to "Church" by Foxy, now we find ourselves in the sexy dive bars of the damned. Dark, dirty and sexy. Like the back seat of a high schoolers car after drinking stolen liquor at the debutant's ball. "I'm going gonzo." And indeed you have, Foxy Shazam. Indeed, you have.

-Badhorse

Like what you've read? Then "Like" the blog for "real" on Facebook! Want to tell me how shitty my review was (it wasn't)? Pollute my Twitter! In a band with an album on the horizon, or know of an album you think I'd like/hate? Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment