Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Too Much Connection - Cadaver Dogs - Too Much

Life is a fun and funny thing. Just last Friday, I watched my amazing friends in Kick open for the ever amazing Foxy Shazam. Both of whom have albums I reviewed right on this very site: Away From The World and Gonzo respectively.

While at this show, a fine gent next to me in the crowd happened to recognize Foxy Shazam's stage tech as a member of another band, Cadaver Dogs. Tonight, as I was sifting through band camp for a new album I knew nothing about, I came across the album Too Much by Cadaver Dogs. It took me a minute to connect why the name sounded so familiar, but once I did, I knew this was my album to listen to.

Not sure if this is an official cover, but it is officially badass.

So armed with Wild Onion Brewing's Hop Slayer (Two beers in, oh yeah!), I am diving head first into what can only be an album brought to me by fate. On to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

"Black Out Blues" opens us up with a pumping rock riff before dropping to drums and voice. There is something charmingly ugly to the vocals, and It's wonderful. The farty distortion alongside the bouncing keys is a beautiful contrast. Simple, and yet regal in such a gritty way. It's such a dirty groove and great opener. Even the higher end guitar parts are just fuzzy ugly awesome. Awesome.

Gunshot leads right into a nice grooving riff to open "Get Out!" and as the song drops into the verse. There is this cool tension built by the guitar and vocals, and the song grows throughout to the chorus. And the chorus is almost a pop rock feel, but retaining all the grit one could hope for. The guitar tones are the kind that make you feel like you need a shower yet never want to take one again. It's awesome. Ooo... Killer breakdown here... I'm not sure if that's fuzz bass, or guitar, but it's lovely for damn sure. Drops down after that, and kicks back into the chorus. Nice. And hitting hard heading to the end... Nope, back to that opening riff... End...

"Feel The Heat" comes in with a super fast groove, and settles into a funk feel in the verse. Moves into a nice rock chorus, and back into that killer opening riff. The vocal cadences are fun, and I love the subtle variations thus far... I mean, everything is dirty and groovy, but it's not all the same... If there ever was an album that needed a beer and a cigarette...

"It's A Hunger" opens hitting hard, and again drops into the verse, but builds and falls a couple of times before building into the chorus. Hard hitting here, and such awesome rawness, yet the production is right where it needs to be. Great builds all over. They definitely aren't doing anything awe inspiring, but they are doing so much that is over-the-top bad ass... Breaking down... Drums leading the build... And kicking in. Lovely. Such a growth into the ending. Killer.

Wood block to take us into "Buzzards" Clean guitar gives way to distorted guitar on a fun riff that leads us into a fast yet subtle verse that moves along nicely. And back to the anything but subtle opening riff for the chorus. Cool movement into a march feeling breakdown. Vocals touched falsetto there, and it was nice. Dropping down.. Stop... Kick into chorus... Nice. Drops out, and trumpet ends the tune... Awesome.

"Leaner, Meaner" opens slowly, and with a nice fuzzy groove. Vocie and vocals move the verse with guitar tags. Driving into a chorus? I think... Whatever it is, I'm loving the falsetto. Cool tune.

Fuzz y bass takes us into "Confessional" a slow groove here... And the vocals are coming through very clean and funk esque. And driving now... Smooth transition. Drop to voice and clean guitar... Build... And back to the verse jam... Okay... If you took a Black Keys record, put out a half dozen cigarettes on the vinyl, threw up on it after a night of consuming nothing but whiskey, and took the awesome level up by a factor of 13, you would have too much... Also, this song is skull fucking amazing.

"Don't Tell Me I can't" opens in a very bluesy feel. moving along very nicely, and growing after the first part of the verse... Stop go blues riffing. And opening up nicely. A killer take on a formula blues tune. When the band has a full feel, there is this haunting tone happening... I'm not sure if it's shore structuring, or the bells that just sound creepy, but whatever it it, it MAKES this tune. Strange guitar solo-ish thing, that is awesomely fitting. Bad. Ass. Tune. Except... Fade out ending... FAIL.

Acoustic opens "Exquiste Corpse" and I'm liking they have a tune sharing a name with a Hedwig Song. And the lyrical content here is making me smile. Chugging guitar comes in nicely... Nice and aggressively bluesl=y. Solo rips right in... Oh yes, you are welcome here guitar solo. Make yourself at home... Faking out the drop to acoustic and right back to the bad asserey. Love it. Oh, hey solo guitar, glad you're still hanging out in the background there... Amazing.

"Too Many People" begins our end with a weir dish pop fuck isn feel... Not bad. Cool things happening. Maybe less funk, and more reggae, but it's cool. Guitar cuts in... Grows... And jamming the fuck out. Nice. Ooo... Bouncy. "There Aint no changing who you is... And that's a good thing, Cadaver Dogs.... Don't change... Ever.

Final Thoughts:
Too Much is just enough... And by that I mean... Give me more! Excess is the name of the game here at Albums and Alcohol, and I is drunk ladies and gents. Too Much is everything I needed, and I will be diving deeper into Cadaver Dogs' discography.

-Badhorse

Like what you've read? Then "Like" the blog for "real" on Facebook! Want to tell me how shitty my review was (it wasn't)? Pollute my Twitter! In a band with an album on the horizon, or know of an album you think I'd like/hate? Let's chat! If you are looking for a review with a little more coherency, I also write for EMURG.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment