Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Week Late and A Mimosa Short - Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues

I may be the worlds shittiest blogger, or maybe just the least punctual one. I spend all this time updating the Upcoming Reviews section, and yet consistently miss the planned dates; however, have no fear because all of the albums on the list will get their chance!

I recently switched to days at my too-boring-too-talk-about-on-here job. It's been nice, afternoons off, and a real person schedule, but I'm quickly finding out that real people have a harder time squeezing a few hours of binge drinking into their schedule. Well, I refuse to let "The Man" hold me down! Thus, Against Me! will be tonight, and The Lawrence Arms will be tomorrow. I may drag ass at work, but that's what they get for frowning on hair of the dog hangover cures (stupid corporate alcohol policies anyway).

Alright, now that I've gotten my bitching and excuse making out of the way, let's talk about Against Me! As with several other bands I've reviewed on here, I have spotty familiarity with their work, but have been wanting to check them out in depth for a long time. I particularly love this video done by the amazing Justin Staggs:





So incredibly simple, yet so incredibly beautiful.

One of the things I love about that video is that you could replace the turntable with my laptop and that is more or less my blog set up (Of course, listening each album as an actual, you know, album would be amazing; albeit completely outside of my abilities and budget. However, if bands were to send me copies in advance... Just saying). Anyway, I'm rather excited from the little bit of research I did on this album. Yes, I know about Laura Jane Grace's transformation (and that is amazing for her), but what really makes me excited is this is the first concept album I've done, and it is also self produced (self produced albums always tend to be very raw and beautiful discs).

It's a BOOB! (I think?)


Well, my mimosa is ready, the album is queued, and I have nothing more to babble about. Let's get on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:
Mimosas (No link because no link can contain the amazingness that is mimosas!)

The album opens on the title track. A drum roll of sorts gives way to guitar and grows. Really cool rock feel happening here. Laura's vocals are very powerful. The whole song has an awesome forward push. Pretty and awesomely aggressive at the same time. Nice drum break in to the chorus. Really cool opener.

Into "True Trans Soul Rebel". This song is another power rock tune. I love the production and tones thus far. The vocals are continuing to crush it. I love the power and soul in her voice. The chord progressions aren't hiding anything. Simple and straightforward, but immensely powerful. Loving the beautiful blending of clean and distorted guitars. Makes a beautiful feel musiclly. The lyrics are really cool, or at least what I'm catching in this first listen. I'm realizing this may not be the best format to review a concept album.

Energy stays high, and perhaps raises even a little on "Unconditional Love".  It may be no sort of coincidence, but so much of this just reminds me of Hedwig and the Angry Inch in all the best ways. The driving rock tunes can keep coming, they are blowing me away.

"Drinking With the Jocks" pushes the energy even more. Launching into an amazing punk feel. The guitar interlude is haunting and beautiful. I think that's a chorus affect? The vocals and solo clashing is excellent. This song is unapologetically punk, and I love it.

Building opening on "Osama Bin Laden as the Crucified Christ". And the beautiful composition of this tune promises not to be overshadowed by what could be an extremely controversial title. That aside, this tune fucking owns. Punchy and eerie at the same time. It feels like two great tunes combining to create the megazord of punk tracks. Beautiful.

"Fuckymylife666" breaks the punchy and returns us to driving rock. Vocals definitely carrying this one as the guitars are mostly driving choruds, but the movement and vocals are enough to keep me in this one. Not to mention its nice to step away from hard hitting sounds if only for a moment. Cool track.

Guitar brings us into "Dear Friend". Keeping with the smoothing of the pacing. Giving us a nice break without losing energy. The tempo is still very much up beat. I love the chorus in this tune. And the launch into the bridge is beautiful. And another beautiful transistion into the final chorus.

And finally a full slowing of pace on "Two Coffins". Really cool almost folk feel. Still diging the vocals. and The guitar is proof that there is truth to the addage less is more. Great moments lyrically here. Short and sweet.

Building us out of that is "Paraytic States". Beautifully growing into a great rock tuune. I love the duel guitars in this. And the mimnimal drums int hte verses. Cool chorus change ups into the bridge. This has been a near flawless disc thus far. I love the style the vocals the pacing... Everything!

"Black me Out" starts our ending with a slowish guitarline. Vocals come ine. And the bareness of the voice is amazing. So much depth to her voice! Straight up rock tune. Beautiful lyical moments here as weel. Nice tune to finish. Beautiful.

Final Thoughts:
My only possible complaint? Too short! Which I can oonly push so much given the entire album had a short and too thepoint feel to it. There isn't more because ther doesn't need to be. I'm simply left to sip my remaining mimosas and relisten. Sometimes life is great like that.

I'd love to hear feedback, not just on the blog, but on this or any other album as well. Hit me up in the comments!

Until, well, tomorrow, enjoy life! (This album can help!)

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment