Friday, January 31, 2014

Too Tired Attempt a Title - The Lawrence Arms

Here again! Keeping my promise (Kind of) to attempt to catch up on my reviews. I've been dead all week, and while today is no exception, I cannot put this off any longer. I promise eventually I will return to prompt punctuality; however, you may have to bear with me while I adjust to my new schedule (Let's face it, no one looks forward to these anyway).

Alright, with that vote of self confidence, let's move on to the docket for tonight. The Lawrence Arms is a band with a recently released album called Metropole. That is where my knowledge of the group runs dry. Tonight, that will end. One of the reasons I put this off was my lack of ambition to do any sort of research, and while that has not changed, I'm moving ahead anyway. Going in blind. Feels right. (There may have been a sex joke in there? Not sure. Too Tired.)

I like the cover. What else do I need to know?

So with a mixed bag of Angry Orchard and two other bags sagging underneath my eyes, let's hop to it! On with the review!

Album:

Alcohol:

The disc opens with "Chilean District". A sample of applause bings us into a driving drum beat before opening up into a solid punk track. Killer transition from more aggressive feel to an awesome pop punk feel. Short. Awesome.

With a sweet riff, "You Are Here" punches in  before settling. The chorus vocal hook is nice. The layered guitars are nice as well. Jumping back and forth from calm to driving. I like it. The bridge is really nice and hooky as it builds. Dropping into the close. Nice.

"Hickey Avenue" open low and driving. I love the sound of the vocals. Sounds like duel vocals a bit. Into another beautiful chorus. Aggressive pop punk at it's best here. Yes, definitely duel vocals. And they rock. My face. Drop into an acoustic. Bringing everything back. Cool ending. Into an accordion .

Chords and vocals open "Seventeener". The song settles into a solid pop punk track. Not bad. All the cool elements of the previous tracks, but lacking an umph. Lyrics definitely carry this track. Low point for me thus far though.

"Beautiful Things" comes in on guitars. And settles into another slowish pop punk track. Digging this a little more than the previous, but still suffering from the lack of pizzaz (whatever that is). Good track; just not as gripping as the first three tracks. Again a very lyrically driven track. The music does have a lot of nice play around the vocals though. 

A horn brings us into "Acheron River" along with guitar accompanied vocals. And nice launch into another high energy punk tune. There is the sweet vocal hook. Classic punk guitar riffs. The second verse has awesome background guitar play. And nice drop before kicking it up a bit. And oh, that sweet chorus! Nice solo setting up the drop out. I'm also really digging the bass tone. Really cool kick in. Amazing by the book punk tune with out being cliche. Great track to bring the energy back into the disc.

The title track comes in with crowd samples and acoustic guitar. Not sure how I feel about these sample bumps. They are kind of cool, but they seem abrupt and unconnected. That being said. This is nice. Drop out... Swell... Nice into a low key driving tune. Adding aggression in the chorus, but keeping the song with a subtle feeling. I dig this track a lot. Build... Bigger feel. Nice track!

"Drunk Tweets" build off of the energy from it's predecessor and launches it to it's highest point yet. Which is saying something. Lyrically, from what I can make out. the track is a social commentary of sorts, and spot on at that. Beautiful.

This track has a long title that I'm not going to type, but it is a stripped down driving tune. Great lyrically. Cool in ways I'm not even sure how to describe. This is one you really just have to hear. I... Don't have words. Okay, that switch up was cool as hell. Seriously, check this tune out now! This song is all over, and it is SO incredible... Yeah... Favorite track thus far.

On to "Never Fade Away", a track with a fake out open. Guitars open as if they are going into another soft track before jumping into a punk progression. Nothing special here, but nothing special needed. Straight up pop punk done awesomely. Cool ending.

"Paradise Shitty" opens with a slow build. The vocals come in to drive it along. I'm feeling sick weak and old as well. Preaching to the choir and whatnot. Nice open up into the chorus. Relatable here.SOme nice musical shit going on. Also, the drums have been getting in some really nice fills; not to mention the face that these beat have to be causing some strain. Oh, good, an acoustic break so he can rest. Also, nice placement. I think that will end the track as well. Yep. Sample bump.

Closing the disc is "October Blood". I think the trasistion would have been better with out the sample in there, but the track is good. I like it as a closer actually. It is a sort of culmination of everything good on this disc. Vocally driven, but great dynamics, fun guitar play, and high energy. Abrupt to end. Ooo. Piano comes in with wave sapmpes. Now. Leaving us with just the waves. Another set of applauce. End. Nice.

Final Thoughts:
Great punk album. Even in it's structuring. Ups and downs, but giving us the best punches before settling into some awesome closing tracks. What I know now? The Lawrence Arms' Metropole was a great find, and I need to hear more. While I go do that, leave me some damned comments!

Seriously though, I'm gonna get better with getting these out on time.

Until Tuesday,
-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment