Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Build Your Own Mustard Plug - Mustard Plug - Can't Contain It

Evening, ladies and gents. I've recently changed hours at work, so please, excuse this coming a day late; I'm still adjusting to my new schedule.

With my apology out of the way, it's time for some sweet ska!

Mustard Plug is a band that I missed in their "prime" so-to-speak. I have heard bits here and there, but never checked out a full album. This will change tonight.

Something tells me I will enjoy this despite having a complete distaste for mustard...

While I love ska staples, it always makes me excited to see new material coming out because I believe there is a resurgence coming... And I am so... fucking... READY!

Speaking of ready, I have a lovely Build-Your-Own Six-Pack sitting beside me with beers from Hop City, Leinenkugel's, Schell, Bass, Magic Hat, and Badger Hill. I'd give you the names, but my fingers hardly have that sort of ambition, so before they get anymore lazy, on to the review!

Album:

Alcohol:
Build-Your-Own Six-Pack

The disc opens on "We Came to Party," crowd noise then a nice punchy intro. Well, polished horns, and beautifully unpretty vocals. Disorderly refrain of gang vocals. This song is fun with out even being super catchy. There is really no vocal hook to speak of, and I think that makes it even more special. Really cool... Dance break? Of sorts. Builds nicely into the gang refrain again. Great opener that sets up the disc to not take itself too seriously. Good sign. =)

Moving forward, "The All-Nighter" opens a little less punchy, and a little more bouncy. None of the fun is lost. The vocals find a little more of a melody here, and it's good. Gang chorus again. I love that. It makes everyone feel like not only can they sing along, but indeed, they SHOULD. I really love the tone on the horns. very bright, but not piercing. Some great ska tunes--Oh, shit! Organ! Excellent!

Comming out of a swell on the organ is a drum roll into "Aye Aye Aye". Another bouncy ska tune. The vocals here are simple, but fun. The guitar work here is great. Not over bearing but there right when it needs to be to compliment the horns. Trumpet solo. I think... Yeah, that's a trumpet. Nice tune. Nothing blowing me away, but I dig it.

"White Noise" is a sweet power ska tune. Hard hitting and fast paced. I love the gang vocals here aswell. the guitar gets more emphasis, but the style of the tune calls for it. THe little breakdown is cool. Great track.

Keeping the pace up is "Bang!' It settles into a lower key feel, but the pace is still racing. This song is super fun, and I love the vocal melody. The organ is great in the verses as well. On a side note, Magic Hat's Not Quite Pale Ale is amazing! oo. Pretty harmony to end it.

Pacing takes a very subtle dip into "Burn It Down". I love the upstrokes with the organ. Why is this not done more? I Love tension through out culminating in a stop into a horn break. And the count down into the final part of the tune? Awesome.

"Shakin' It Up" grabs you by the left testicle out of the pervious trck and doesn't let go. The guitar line is very simple, but SO fun. Another power ska track, and thus far, there are some great rises and falls in a short span with out being super abrupt and weird. You know, like me. 

"Blame Yourself" comes in with no drop in pace. And a fun horn line. The vocals have a fun feel. This song has a stong chorus that explodes nicely out of the build in the verse. Nothing special about what it is the guitars are doing, but it adds so much badassery. Not quite as much as that sexy organ. 

"Gone and Faded" opens with a strike of the guitar and vocals over a driving bass. A nice settling without settling. This song definitely having a less playful aproach, but keeping things fun musically. Nice use of keys in the verse, and the song follows a more punk-with-horns feel that typical ska, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Love it actually.

Badada's open "What Does She Know?". Bringing full back into the ska feel. nice way to come out of it's punky predecessor. A very fun and bouncy tune. I love how the vocals tread this line between pop-punk and crust punk. It brings out the bst of both.

"Twist The Knife" starts another rise while keeping ska form. The horns are awesome in this one. And oh! Our first guitar solo. Good one too. Nothing uber flashy, but awesome and fitting. Mixed a little low for my taste, but good. And good tune.

"It's You" give us some more punch. I almost got beer all over my keyboard. Burped while drinking. Good tune. Dear god, this beer is WAY too corbonated..

"The Perfect Plan" slows down a bit. Good ska tune. Sorry. Can't stop burping from this beer. I feel bad, this is a good track. Not high energy, but a nice tnder ska tune.

Closing the Disc is "Running Out of Time". Appropriate. Driving and punchy opening. THis song actually is blending ska and punk nicely. Whoa, that transition was AWESOME. This song has great movemnet. It's, like, linear in a way. I lke it. Good.

Final Thoughts:
Typing while violently burping is difficult. That noted, Cant' Contain It is a GRET disc. ska elements are great. There is a nice variety and I can't stop gushing (The last one, that's how you know it's good). I am about to own this, and I cannot think of one reason why you shouldn't follow suit. Unless you are being a nonconformist... Ofcourse, sadly, I think the greater majority will not own this disc, so you know, even then you should get it... Just sayin'.

Ska is amazing. And so am I. Thoughts? I'd love to hear from you below... Like the blog? Tell your friends. Until next week. Stay thirsty, my friends.

-Badhorse

No comments:

Post a Comment